I am a huge believer in breakfast! I wake up starving so I never understand how people go without it. From personal experience, I also believe it gets your metabolism going and if you pack your heavier meals in the earlier part of the day, you'll eat less at night.
But often people say they don't have time for breakfast. And many who actually eat it, are really eating what I think should be dessert. Most breakfasts are filled with carbs and sugar (e.g.: pancakes or waffles with syrup or bagel with cream cheese). Where has the nutrition in breakfast disappeared to?
Think about it this way.... Breakfast is an opportunity for you to refuel your body, give yourself energy and start your daily activities with a boost of nutrients. If you don't have the time to make an omelette with veggies, this recipe is a simple fix that can last you all week. And it will give you whole grains, protein, fiber and calcium. That's what I call a healthy way to start your day!
I got this recipe from a website called Hummusapien. I added and subtracted a bit to make it healthier as I do with most recipes but what I love most about this is that you can add just about anything to make it to your liking. Want it sweeter? - add honey or cranberries. Want it richer? -add nuts or dark chocolate.
Master these and bring a healthy breakfast back into your life!
Makes 12 muffins
- Preheat oven to 375F. Coat 12 muffin liners with a small drop of olive oil each and place into muffin tin.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Extra add-ins depending on your taste: cranberries, dark chocolate chips or nuts.
- Distribute mixture to 12 muffin liners.
- Bake for 25 min.
- 2 cups Organic oats
- 1 large organic zucchini (peel & grate)
- 2 small (very) ripe organic bananas (peel & grate)
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk (or Milk)
- 1/4 cup organic Peanut Butter
- 1 egg (or 1 tbsp flaxseed + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp chia or flax seeds
- 1 Tbsp baking powder